Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Being True to Your (NERD) Self

It's a weird feeling inside. A sense of insecurity because you do not know how someone will look at you if you were to reveal your personal interests that you do not share with your friends and peers. But why? Why feel insecure about what you love.. It makes you YOU!


You can't help that you have an unhealthy obsession with Batman. I know I do! For me, I grew up watching cartoons and reading comic books. I found super heroes to be a big part of my hobbies. Most people out grow these things we liked as kids, or discouraged to keep interest in it because it is not an adult or teenage thing to do anymore. We have to pursue adult things like relationships, sex, drugs, alcohol, things that make us older, but is it really immature to find our childhood refuges out of date in your twenties and on?

NOPE!!!

You need to be your TRUE self at all times! Friends will come to understand you more, because your hobbies and interests shape your personality, and if your friends do not understand those things about your life, then they don't understand you at all. I actually strive to push people to explore what makes them happy in life with their interests. I, luckily, have found a circle of friends that enjoy being themselves and expressing their knowledge of comic book history, super villains, and their love for shows that people don;t want to admit. 

Have you ever sat around on a porch with a group of late twenties with beer in hand discussing how the X-Men and the Avengers combine in the universe? Didn't really think so.. But then again I guess if this blog appeals to people of my tastes then probably.. haha

It is a simple concept, but making sure you don't give up or change, or hide yourself from people is easy. You just can't let people tell you why or how you should be as an adult! Everyone is different and that difference makes you YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment